Thursday, August 12, 2004

Yeah...The Gays are cool and have nothing to worry about.


Updated: 05:41 PM EDT
McGreevey Resigns Abruptly Over Homosexual Affair
New Jersey Governor Will Quit Nov. 15, Says 'I Am a Gay American'
By JOHN P. McALPIN, AP

TRENTON, N.J. (Aug. 12) - In a stunning declaration, Gov. James E. McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday and acknowledged that he had an extramarital affair with another man. ''My truth is that I am a gay American,'' he said.



AP
New Jersey Gov. James E. McGreevey, right, holds his wife Dina Matos McGreevey's hand, before announcing he will resign.

''Shamefully, I engaged in adult consensual affairs with another man, which violates my bonds of matrimony,'' the married father of two said at a news conference. ''It was wrong, it was foolish, it was inexcusable.''

The Democrat said his resignation would be effective Nov. 15.

McGreevey, 47, said that ''it makes little difference that as governor I am gay,'' but added that staying in office and keeping the affair and his sexual orientation secret will leave the governor's office ''vulnerable to rumors, false allegations and threats of disclosure.''


Talk About It


· Chat | Post Messages
· Top News Boards

''Given the circumstances surrounding the affair and its likely impact upon my family and my ability to govern, I have decided the right course of action is to resign,'' he said.

McGreevey did not elaborate on what the circumstances were.

No comments: