Saturday, August 21, 2004

Signs of getting older...?

So the other night Kirby and I went to dinner. we do every so often, raise a ilttle hell at the local Bob's and just chat over carb ladden delights chased with milkshakes. Our friendship is defined by three things; food, films, and friends' apartments. After we fueled up we tried to find something else to do. She doesn't drink and I have stopped drinking alone, I don't know how to play pool and bowling one on one when I have yet to learn seemed embarrassing--but there is not much left to do when it's late and you live in Studio City. As we were driving down Ventura I saw a sign beckoning in the night. Sav-On, 24 hours. I don't know when i made the switch. I went for wanting to run wild with chocolate and toys, children's books and small games to bath products and hair dye. But I know the thought of an evening at Sav On can provide the same glee as five dollars for the convience store, the day spent at Canobie Lake Park. Who needs wide open spaces when we can run wild down the dimly lit aisles of heath and beauty? And this is a friendship step. I know you're my friend when we can wander the hair care products and debate what shade would be best to follow up sun-kissed blond, are intrigued by American idol colenge and know what is the best way to test body butter with out getting caught. I want to smell like vanilla milk butter, I am curious about foot balm (like lip balm--for your feet!) I do debate if I need detangle with extra (you can always use extra) conditioner built right in. Before I know it I can have a basket filled with hand creme, eye cream, cream rinse and maybe even a Creamislce. And I don't know when the flip happened. When did I become so shallow, so vain so egaer to be a better smelling, looking, tasting Rory? When did I give up sticky fingers for softer ones? And is this a bad thing, this hang up on what i am like body wise. Is this in insecruty or is this the next step, the logial follow through? Is this a better way to make myself feel better? Face mask, deep conditioning treatment followed by a lavender foopt soak versus chochalte and soda pop and gum wrapped in comics... I don't know. But I know that I can't just go by one, walk through one without wanting something. It is akin to a candy store in that i want, want, want... I have been good and I can be better. And even when it fails and i have buyers remorse you can't just bring it back. That footbalm stays with you. And if you make a mistake you have to own it. Like this Windex shaped bottle of colenge I bought. it smells kind of good yet kind of funny at the same time. And as I stare at the bottle and wonder why I bought it... It's bright orange and like a small water gun and for a second I think that maybe it was the kid in me and that I am still both at once. At least i hope so.

No comments: