Saturday, January 05, 2013

BOOK WHORE

BOOK WHORE

"The Hundred Secret Sense"
by Amy Tan (3 stars)

While Amy Tan again proves that she is an amzing voice in the Asian experience I really just couldn't get into this book nearly enough. I think because from the begining you know where the plot is going to go and how it will all play out and that detracts from the overall story quite a bit.

But I do really enjoy the Olivia character--her perspective on herself, her marriage and her relationship with her sister is pretty spot on from my own epxerience... I wish I understood better why she loved Simon as much as she did and that Kwan was at least allowed to be angry and call Olivia out on things instead of just taking things. But that is not how the world works in the Amy Tan experience and I think the demurness of the female characters is what gets to me.

But the prose is pretty and full and lush which I always love.

No comments: