Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Book Whore

Doctor Zhivago Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read this book years ago back during my Russian novelist phase while still in high school so I knew what would happen but forgot the details. So much of this book is about idealogy and the importance of the induvidual over the mass but also tries to pay respect to what the revolutions were really about,



But what makes this book stand out for me so much is how it seeems to capture the life of a country in such unsettled times. Characters come and go, the smallest details play in such huge ways when the society is pulled apart and the way people think, feel, and decide is so small and yet so understandable.



And of course Yuri and Lara's love story is still as passionate and hectic and uncertain as always. This is one of the few elationships in literature that I understand--foilables and all.


View all my reviews.

No comments: