Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Book Whore

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

I actually loved this book. I wasn't sure I would between the coarse language and 'in your face' sexuality that is all through out this story. But as I made my way through the novel, I realized that the point of Henry Miller's work is to talk about, and to deconstruct, the ideas and mores of society through the idea of the urban warrior which is something he does amazing well.

His books are not depressing but instead poke and prod at various world views, caste systems, class and sex roles as well as race in a vulgar yet direct manner--Miller is content to destroy all the poetry and picture pretty turns of phrase to expose the point of human existence at it's core. While I don't need to read his other novels I can say that i understand his world view and why people like Anais Nin loved it so.

No comments: