Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Rory Gets His Groove Back.

I spent most of my weekend in borderline seclusion--things had to be wriiten, phone calls to parents made and even some Halloween costume planning. (Yes I know what it is. No I'm not telling!) After a Saturday spent in mounds of political research, I was more than ready to journey over the hill and see my Chloe for one last round up Hollywood style.

The day started interestingly enough. Bewteen weather that wouldn't commit (cold? warm? wet? dry?) and a body that was feeling less than lackluster (t-shirts make me look fat--but not as fat as these polos!!!) I made my way out of the in my most comfortable outift. A cute little t-shirt (with the Tootsie Pop Owl asking how many lick does it take?), messy bed head and a pair of "too dark to look in my eyes sunglasses" and I was off and running.

As I was walking (not working) Hollywood Blvd, this really cute guy was walking towards me (no, he wasn't a dirty pirate ninja) and imagine when he stopped me short, looked at my shirt, in my eyes and back a second time and just said "Nice", gave a squeeze to the shoulder twice and moved on down the road. (Needless to say, I am not that trusting and checked for needle marks and stickers on the shoulder he squeezed. )

I was a little bit startled (But glowly because that does not happen to me in the Valley) and made my way to Chloe's humble house of horrors in a smiley mood. Maybe I wasn't too rolly polly.

After hearing the latest at the Triple L (the Lido Ladies' Loft) Chloe and I took the show to the raod and ended up at our new favorite place--Karma Cafe, the scene of confessions and 24 hour theater. As we came up to the door, I was started by this really hot (and still not a pirate!) guy in a green shirt and little red baseball cap.

And he was looking at me (!?!) and my first thought was "wait, that's not Libby the mad crush from Todd Tv, is it?" and the second was "have I slept with him or something?". After a quick mental rundown of past sexual partners in last 4 months (or about 5 minutes) I realized I have never met nor have any idea who this was. And he was still looking, meeting my eyes and smiling but not in a creepy "lick the lips" sort of way.

After Chloe and I got our drinks (chai ice tea--yum) we went outside and sat the first avaliable table. Right behind him. (this was not planned--Chloe can verify). Chloe and I discussed boys and drugs and leaving LA in hushed tones as I kept getting distarcted by that little sliver of back showing bewteen in his t-shirt and his jeans. (I don't normal do that-by the way)

After a bit he gathered his art supplies (he's an artist! Goddamn I love Hollywood!) and as he gather his backpack, he turned toward our table and smiled at me. Now this could have been random but what is not is him turning back while in the parking lot and yet again locking eyes!!! (WOO HOO!!!)

I guess this is the part where I get up from the table and slide across the parking lot and say something... Insetad this is the momment I kick Chloe under the table or something, make dreamy eyes and wonder what I would do if he came to talk to me... Probably nothing.

But why am I writing this? To brag? (No) To use starngers to build my self-esteem? (Maybe.)Or is it to remind myself that it is never as bad as I think it is? (yes--yes--yes).

See, I live a life right now where those momments are rare and far bewteen. I hang with my staright friends and go to straight bars and never remember how to flirt or behave when I get the attention. But the worst is I forget that I can get that attention because I am never in the places my people go... I'm always at party at a friends' house, or some low-end bar in Burbank or just in the Valley hanging out.

And then I doubt myself because I don't get attention but now I realize--wait, maybe I am kind of cute because when I'm around my boys I do seem to get some reaction. Which then--what do I do with information?

But that is too much for a rainy Tuesday morning so instead I'll just think about artsy boys in red baseball caps who seem to like me... Pretty blue eyes...

No comments: