Friday, October 29, 2004

Just a paragraph to vent--okay maybe two...actually three...

So last night was my first brush with live theatre as a writer and while no one died--I took alot way from it. I was rather disappointed in parts of my piece but not for the reasons people think... I wasn't upset about the monolouge that was cut--I know what I wrote was hard to memorize and possibly direct. I wasn't really upset with how Melanie performed the last monolouge--though it was the one I was most passionate about and I felt doing it scarcastic was a really cheap call given that the others weren't--I knew the director was going to give it their own vision.

What I was upset about was how the 2nd monolouge in the piece was basically rewritten. Half, the important half, was chopped of and the first part written to reflect something that I do not remotely believe. It was very shocking for me to hear that what had been a somewhat balanced attack on Kerry's political style was turned into a Catholic bash. That's not me at all.

I guess the worst part was just feeling like--you got served! I felt that there were people in the aftermath of the show who saw I was upset and felt it was time for me to take my medicine... That this was a good thing for me. I was a little hurt by that vibe, not because of the actors or how it was directed, but that my words were changed to something I didn't feel or believe and yet my name was attached to it.

I'm just glad that Edie, Chloe, Kelly, Lizzie, Davis, Valeska, Lucy, Willis weren't there to see that.

No comments: