Monday, October 25, 2004

The Achilles Heel...

So I live my life a particular way. I never apologize for it though I do make mistakes, usually in public and with the maxium humilation possible. I try to treat people the way I want to be treated and judge other's actions by the same standard.

And while this works well in my social life--I tend not to judge so that I'm not judged either--in a work environment this tends to get me in trouble.

When comes to work, and my career, I work hard for my alloted hours, am detailed and serious to a degree. I try to have fun with my co-workers yet still get things done as quickly and professional as possible. And while I can be abit anal and overly detiled and questioning I tend to try and be as productive and efficent as possible.

I try to be respectful but am quicker to get annoyed with people in the workplace if they aren't at my standards. This is something I am learning to control about myself and yet it doens't always work. I sometimes get frustrated or upset at others for not being the same type of worker that I am.

Where the trouble starts is when someone does somethng that I find particularly unprofessional--such as verbally attacking a co-worker in front of others. there is a time and place, as well as a way, to discuss issues but not snapping at someone in front the entire team. It is not calling names or using crule terms. And while I have done this once or twice myself, I know that it is not even remotely acceptable.

And something like this happened in the past week and I am still trying to deal with the fact that a co-worker, someone I did respect, would ever approach me or anyone in an office that way. I know that I am not perfect and I am working on it but part of me just wants to scream right now.

That;s the problem with being too friendly with co-workers. Lines can get crossed and things can get said that shouldn't have and then you still have to deal with them 12 hours later.

That's why I don't do those type of things. I'm just saying...

No comments: