Thursday, October 14, 2004

Salad and Sex Change?

So this week has been odd on many levels--the least of which was a very female empowerment night. Kelly, Lizzie, Valeska, and I had a night of 70's style salad with a little bit of wine and laughter. It felt like one of those momments from a Toni Morrison movie as we bitched about men and sex and work and just wanting everything and getting nothing. All it needed was some Arthea and would have been the full montage.

The funnest thing about this is just how true and weird we are all becoming--that as we get older we either cling and marry the ones we are with or we get so used to being single that when someone offers us the option of more that we just freak out... Like what the hell? Why are you changing the rules? We've gotten comfortable with easy pickins and no strings sex...

What scares me most of all is something that Kirby once told me--that after a certain age you can't get in a serious relationship. That you are so set in being single that you can't adapt to someone's life. That after that point--lonliness is a given.

And I think it is starting now--I know that I am not ready for a real relationship and that sex and dinner is all I want for now. Don't call me back, don't stop by my house and if I want you then I will make the effort... And at first I thought it was just a male thing but after Salad Night I know that it's not--unless...

We're all becoming straight frat boys?

3 comments:

zippy said...

You should never listen to what Kirby says, her family could tell you that. Your life begins every moment and you have the choice to lead it into whatever direction you choose. Being single and being loney are not a given, there are many people in relationships that are lonely and there are many single people who are not.

jen said...

Uncle Rory, we're in the same boat.

Lucky said...

and its gettin to be a crowded boat too!
put me in the dingy.