Saturday, January 10, 2004

LIKE A UPN SITCOM...

I blame my stupidity on my unemployment. I have reached the point where I look at so many random ads for work, some many cover letters, bad interviews that I think I finally stopped caring. I will apply for any job. Here's my resume.... Exotic dancer? Bonsai pruner? Priest? Here you go...

So, I assume that's what happened the other day. I got into the flow and kept faxing and e-mailing and giving up my resume like some type of office slut. But there has been an upside because I am much more likely to send my writing resume stuff around. Which lead me to apply to a couple of magazine/webzine/newspapers.....

So, you can imagine how excited to get a phone late the other night reagrding my writing samples and coming to interview for a magazine. So, of course, I went through all my past e-mails to figure which ad they were. Research is good for these type of things.

There was a cute singles magazine, a hippy-drippy website, and an urban webzine... I re-read the little ads....the singles was looking for internet dating stories--the hippy-drippy wanted hints about candles, tarot, incensense....the urban magazine was looking for pieces that reflect our hertiage and social history without negativity.... And that's when I realized that the Urban Minority magazine was for and about Blacks--and that I had applied for it, sending some of my "XY" (gay mag) pieces...

BUt the I realized that one of my samples refernced in a major way that I was white and so it could be that magazine that responded. Till I checked my e-mail and realized that I had some mail bounced back to me. From the singles magazine (they never got my resume) and the hippy-dippy were closing down the site for a bit. SO...

I called the urban magazine and talked with (I kid you not) Tyrone... Explained what happened and that I was confused and that I could come in if he wanted. He kind of laughed at me and said that maybe they could use a "token" and if I wanted to come in... I defered... All I could picture is an office out of BET and me slinking in... I'm telling--it is because of me that these stupid UPN sitcoms get made!

No comments: