Monday, June 23, 2014

Inspiration Monday

Flaming June by Sir Frederic Leighton


This is probably my favorite painting of all time--it followed me from my college dorm for 4 years, summers on the wall at my various homes and finally to the Dollhouse. It is probably the key reason behind my love of the color orange and the idea also of contrasting imagery that has carried over from my taste in art to music to how I dress.

I think what I have always been intrigued by is the use of unexpected visual pairings--the need to have the body cover as was the style at the time but with the obvious elements and edges of nudity within it between the curve of the model's hip, the rise and cover of the barely covered nipples and the long and graceful ankle and calf line seen before the bareness of the foot. It's both puritanical and risque in the same moment.

And the use of the color orange--a bright and vibrant color denoting warmth and energy--as draped in the clothing of the sleeping model is just as interesting because it creates a mixture of relaxation and energy. This disconnect--the eye usually associates sleep and resting with cooler colors like blue changes the portrait from one of plain and quiet repose to one of almost a catnap-like quality... The model rests not because of being tired but more as a re-charging moment before continuing the dizzy and risque day before it. It is both calming and invigorating for the eyes--a sort of party girl at rest--which is something I can relate to.

Here's more about the painting if interested--the background is a bit unique as well

The story of Flaming June

No comments: