Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Art of Handwriting

I spent the better part of an hour tonight writing out my thank you notes for this season of BB 12. I always feel weird when I do work related missives because I always wonder if they are seen as being "too much". The reason I do my little cards with the notes inside--and a business card with my email--is because I want to keep track of people I want to work with again. I freely admit that it takes a lot for me to respect a co-worker but once you have my respect I will go the distance.

And I am selective about who I include on these lists of people because I don't want to be seen as someone who just does it for everyone. I want people to feel special and noticed when I take the time, effort, and money to reach out but that doesn't work if you are handing it out all over town. I also try to be discrete about how and when I had out the cards--I would never do it in front of another co-worker who wasn't receiving a note from me, i wouldn't do it in a crowd place or event and I don't need you to read the card in front of me either--I do it to put myself out there and not to be patted on the back.

Although I do sometimes worry if it comes off as a bit "ass kissing". I do my notes partially to thank people but also partially to put out there how much i liked working with them and would want to do so again. Part of the dance of freelance work is how one goes about building relationships--I'm not a big partier or a happy hour guy so I try to make more of an effort with people beyond that.

There is also the part of me that thinks the time and effort that goes into a card--written out by hand or typed out for the internets--says something about the thought you are putting into the message. It says that I am thinking of you and want you to see how much am do that. It is my attempt to try and continue a connection after the current show has passed.

But other times I wonder it is just seen as strange and pushy.

No comments: