Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Scenes from a Relationship

The boyfriend wants us to go and buy a Christmas decoration to celebrate our frist holiday together. It is so weird when things like this happen to me because on one hand they are as romantic as well but on the other they can feel abit much. Not silly or over the top but just kind of like 'whoa'.

I personally want to buy two ornaments--one for us to keep for ourself and his wall tree but another to give to his parents to make things more awkward. I know I shouldn't want to play into this type of game but his parents are driving me nuts with their mixed messages. Not to me--but to their son.

And what is so weird about this and makes me so on edge is that Johnno is a great son. He calls his family at least once a week, he is polite and thanks them for things, he always wants to go and visit to make time for them. And yet...suddenly both his parents have made rumbings about how they "are happy for him but can't be apart of 'this' part of his life" What?

I have always been honest about my parents and the faults in our relationship but they have never attempted to play that card with me. I can be spoiled, I can be aloof, I can be demanding and unforgiving at points but I have never been treated in such a way. It makes me angry at his parents because I see how they are hurting someone is such a sweet, laid back and respectful person. He's the type of son my parents would love and the type of guy most people would want in their life. And I struggle with this situation because I don't believe you can love someone and not rspect them, you can't pick and choose what you value in a person and make that their only value.

You love people despite their flaws, you value people because of the efforts they make to be better people and you can only have real relationship in which respect is the basis of the dialouge. Anything else is a fools' game.

Yet I know I have to hold my tongue. The truth is, if things stay the way they have been going, I will outlast his parents in Johnno's life. I will be there for him and make him happy and at the end of the day that makes us both winners. And buying an ornament together is just another symbol of who we are and want to be for each other.

But I still plan on giving one of those "Your name here" ornaments you can buy at the mall. Just because it will keep me for saying anything-pictures being worth a thousand words.

No comments: