Friday, April 10, 2015

Fashion File Fridays: A Star is Worn

Fashion File Fridays: A Star is Worn

So the Husbear, my friend Joy and I have been on a mission to slowly and surely work our way through the Barbra Streisand cinema collection--from Funny Girl and down the line. This is honestly their bag more than mine--I know nothing about her films and thought that "The Mirror Has Two Faces" was the one were she plays a therapist helping a Nick Notle through a sex crime--which is why I was disturbed that they both said it was one of their favorite films by her

But I digress

So we finally got to the 1976 classic "A Star Is Born"; a classic in the campiest sense because this movie isnt just off the rails but it never knew the rails existed. It makes me almost want to see the the Judy Garland version to see if that storyline is always as bad or if the 70s just coked it up.

But I loved the clothes in this movie--LOVED THE CLOTHES!!!! It is so mid-seventies and on the verge of the late 70s disco look-it is hippie and Los Angeles and beach and possibly ethnically offensive. I just get it--like how can you not love this:


The perm, the lace, the light makeup, BABY'S BREATH in the hair! It is so hippie and commune living and I love it. Honestly I don't like many flowers but if I had seen this film before my wedding I would have scattered baby's breath in my pompadour before the ceremony.

And while this look might be dated--there is a lot of the film that is on fleck for today's fashion--it embraces patterns and colors along with a healthy love of accessories and statement jewelry. I mean-cannot you not see this on Alicia Keyes, Project Runway or next season's Empire:



Though I suspect there would probably be a bra anywhere else but this movie--somehow they seemed to not have budget to support the girls as it were. But there is something so high end and yet effortless about the fashion--its what I think of when I see the LA look and something I can take ideas for a guys wardrobe from. And it is a simple look:


This is just a white cardigan worn as a shirt--nothing underneath it--and it is so simple and clean and easy but the sweater itself is so boho that it makes it into something you might see on Alexa Chung. I like that she just looks like she might have been topless sunbathing and need to come to the store or maybe the night breezes picked up--but it was unplanned and yet so perfect.

And then movie wasn't afraid to bring in cultural references which was also very 70s:



And while the kimono is a bit of a stretch in this picture--when she wears it with jeans, boots and a belt it is a fun, interesting look... But really this second look with the serape style top, the cowl neck shirt and the turban is a perfect re-imagining of various ethnic pieces and is a look that could be recreated right now at Free People, Urban Outfitters and Forever 21. It's just on point.

I mean--this movie really did have a very good California esthetic when it comes to fashion--and it has a lot of details and ideas I can try and play forward into my summer wardrobe. Except the kimono--that's a bit too much for me



No comments: