Sunday, February 17, 2013

BOOK WHORE

Insignificant Others by Stephen McCauley

I really wanted to like this book... The writing is strong and crisp though a bit smug at points but I just couldnt get over the plot itself. I didnt feel much sympathy for Richard and his situation beause he really only gets concerned once his spouse has more feelings for his lover than Richard--but Richard is more than guilty of the exact same thing in an even worse way. He doesnt seem to care at all for Conrad--he only wants to keep Conrad out of jealousy.
It's annoying and makes him unrootable.

The one thing I did love was the character of Doreen. She is not a fag hag by any stretch and her dynamic with Ricahrd as well as her overall development is fascinating. Cold, aloof, ambitious yet with more depth than you can expect--she is really the star of this book. I just wish it had given me something or someone to root for but Richard is so spoiled and cold that I couldnt care less.

No comments: