Thursday, April 28, 2011

Life List

So I am going to see Prince tonight. It is actually hard for me to stay grounded at work because all I can think about is how excited I am for this show. It's a very rare thing for me to get super caught up in things like this--even JT and Gaga had me less on edge--but Prince is one of those people I have spent my own life wanting to see.

He's on the list.

I don't mean the list of performers I want to see--though there is one--but on my life list of things I would like to do. He is somewhere between having cocktails with Amstead Maupin, visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza, publishing my first book and buying my first piece of real art. I guess it would be the bucket list but I have had this in my mind since 15 which is so before that phrase took trend.

So when my friend Charity told me all about her trip to Egypt this past summer and how much fun she had exploring all the old places in Cairo--I was extremely jealous. Like to the point that I didn't want to hear about it at all. She laughed at me when I said that and stated the following--

"You know you can do that, right?"

And it is true. So many things on my list seem like they are difficult if not impossible but the truth is I can do them. If I choose to focus on them. it's not that hard to save up money for a trip, or find a reading where Maupin might be or scan through Esty to find the exact piece of work that speaks to me. I could self publish my own book, I could try and see every one of my band, I could do all of this myself

It is just a matter of focus and effort and time. Instead of getting so caught up in the details of the everyday--I need to plan my attack for what I want.I can do that.

But first I have to see Prince. Priorities people!

No comments: