Monday, February 02, 2009

Hope and Highland

So Saturday night happened. I finally met up with Johnno for our first 'real' date after all the on-line flirtations and Ims and story swapping. We were supposed to go to Hooters at Hollywood and Highland (because we is post modern gay boys) but were defeated by an unexpected line for Saturday night in Hollywood. (Obviously post modern does not equal smart.)

So instead we ended up at Mel's dinner where we managed to eat (something I had not been able to do all day) simple sandwiches and twisty fries between bouts of conversation. It was hard to make eye contact because it felt like (for myself) I was dodging around the tension and hope that had been brewing for the last week or so. I didn't want my desire (or my need) for us to be like we are with words and computers to be so obvious now that we were in the same space. And I couldn't tell if he felt the same or if he was just avoiding showing disappointment.

But we managed to survive a meal together without too much awkwardness and some endearing fumbles before Johnno and I headed out into the night. Somehow 'the Hooters/Hollywood is busy' vibe threw me off when it came time to find the next big thing to do and so instead of hitting up Snow White Cafe or maybe trekking over to Spotlight we ended up heading back to my neck of the woods. (Cause it was closer). The plan was to take Johnno over to the Starlight for drinks but I realized that it is a tough bar, a cash bar and a bar most likely to have my drunken roommate possible appear at. None of these options appealed.

So yeah-we stayed in at the Dollhouse. We listened to music and managed to break the ice between us over looks and hands touching and a million little spaces of sound and silence to move us through the evening. It was more than nice but less than amazing--if only because nice sounds cold and amazing sets the bar too high. But I am very hopefully that once I clean up my big mistake from that night that there just might be something more to be had. Not a relationship out of the gate but just the continuation of two people moving towards each other.

I just hope he might feel the same.

2 comments:

jen said...

I'm so happy. Not much has been able to make me happy lately, but this, this makes me happy.

jen said...

this makes me happy. not much has been able to make me happy these days, but this makes me happy.