Sunday, November 12, 2017

Older

There have been certain things I have been noticing lately that I am unable to put up with. I have some younger (not by much) gay friends in the bar scene who I am watching make the same mistakes again and again. Confusing loneliness with need, bad bed partners or trying to force couples to happen. For awhile I was doing the sassy older friend who knows better but now I have reached the point where I am like--

I DON'T CARE. FUCK UP YOUR LIFE. DON'T COMPLAIN TO ME.

I am finding people around me saying stupid things--hurtful things--ignorant things and in the past I would point this out, trying to help mend bridges or open lines of communication. Now I find myself distancing from those people and when I do say anything it's much more harsh. Like, don't say "fuck so and so's child' even as a joke. Or don't say it's rough for men right now and how do people not make the compliant the moment the sexual offense happens. It makes you sound stupid and makes people respect you less.

IT'S NOT OKAY.

And I don't know if this is about being older. Or maybe it is about the plethora of real issues going on around me; death, addiction, divorce, ambition. But I am tired of people who have no interest in trying to adult. Why waste my time? I don't know how much I have left.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

No comments: