Saturday, December 11, 2010

My Mother Is On Facebook and Other Vague Worries

So this morning I received a message on Facebook from my mother--a vague note that I would almost doubt the reality of except she mentioned a handful of things that only she would know. It gave me pause.

I have no problem with people having an open look into my life; I'm not doing anything wrong, nothing too shocking and there is a part of me that thinks if one wants to look they don't get to complain.

But there is also the eternal 16 year old who worries what she might think, that doesn't want her to know everything, that worries that she might have "opinions" about the things I do. How much I hit the bars, the people that I spend my time with, the things I say that are important to me.

I don't want her to blow anything back at me.

That being said--part of having an adult relationship with one's parents is owning who you are in spite of what they might think or want for you. So I have to prepare myself for the reality that she will have an open window into my life--that it is okay as long as I am careful to not complain to much about her.

Which I don't--though if she oversteps then i might have to.

Like I said--vague worries

No comments: