Saturday, July 26, 2008

Change Clothes and Go

Episode Two


It might seem a bit too 'meeting cute' but the second day of 'Something About Him' I was getting ready to start a new show. One of the things I love about my line of work-reality television-is that every so often I switch shows and end up with a new chance to meet people and for them to meet me. This is exciting because you never know where you'll make a new friend, a new crush, a new mentor--and makes the idea of the first impression a constantly occording event. Which means every so often you have 'first day of school' thoughts and expectations and just like back then you want to put a good foot forward-top to bottom.

Now girls have this issue easy. One of the things about working in telelvision is that everyone-outside of maybe the executives-is pretty casual. This is not a tie and jacket environment unless you want to and most people end up in jeans or stylist pants and t-shirts or polos. But when it comes to the first day most people tend to step it up a notch.

Which is where girls have it easy; all they have to do is throw on a cute skirt, top, and some make-up and there you go and this outfit is usually in pieces that they might end up wearing to work anyways. But I tend to want to put a serious look out there, something somewhat professional looking to make a strong first look. This means pants (not my usual jeans or shorts) and a collared shirt (not a funny t-shirt, polo or crazy top like a cub scout top) with nice shoes (not sneakers, sandals, flip flops or off beat loafers). However this is more just for show than comfort as anyone who knows me knows that I am not very comfortable in 'adult' clothes.

Add to this the fact that I walk everywhere and don't drive and it gets even more messier because I can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to get to a job in the heat and physical activity I can run the risk off looking sloppy. So my first day clotheswise is not very realistic but I do because I feel like I should. So I did and I looked cute and a bit out of place but it makes people notice me in a good way.

But what this also means is that the 2nd day outift is the most imoprtant to seeing the real Rory. The seocnd day's outifit is usually a bit more daring and complicated. And since I have been trying to work on being more daring and confident with myself and my life this particular 2nd Day Outfit was going to be major. I had been searching my closet a lot to see what type of looks I have and what type of looks I want to put out in general. Lax frat boy? Pochonos cutie? Reformed Cub Scout? Angsty punk boy? Sweet and Shy? It's a bit of everything because I'm a bit of everything. It might seem more than a bit shallow but I do believe that very few people look at someone as a possible romance is not because of their wit or smarts when they first meet them. It's clothes. The rest comes later.

The other thing about my dressing up is also how it makes me feel and how it makes others feel about me--if I'm in a cuddly sweater and shorts looking all 'midnight bonfire comfy' is very different than 'all black with club cap and cool shoes looking like I should be in Silverlake' and I tend to take on that vibe of what I'm wearing. My mindset was important for this morning because my first day had left me feeling very down and hectic so going in looking strong and looking cute was important to me.

So after a long debate I picked out the perfect outifit, I won't say which, but I was eager and ready to face the day. I put the top and the accessories in my bag and headed out a bit late that morning on my way to the subway. I was annoyed because I felt like I was running late and it was a sticky feeling morning so I was cranky and on edge.

I barely made it out of my house when the comedy moment happened. As I hit the sidewalk by my neighbors' out back their sprinkers went off. And so I jumped out of the way but right in front of the broken spinker which proceeded to gush water all over me. Just soaked from top to bottom. I got pissed and bitchy and stormed home--it wasn't until I headed back out and past said sprinkers a second time that the humor of the situtation hit and I burst out laughing.

Its always nice to take a moment and realize that I don't need to be serious to make my life good. That laughter should be something I start my day with more. That even though I was a bit of a scrub at work that day--at least thinking of way it happened made me smile. That might be the best thing I can wear wherever I go.

No comments: