Sunday, October 17, 2010

What I Know Now

I have been spending my time working on the novel. Not so much writing but reordering, rereading and reworking--all the things you should not do during a rough draft that is unfinished. But I needed to put myself back in the work, the story, the characters and see what I have done, what I like and what I want to change going forward.

Of course i am not sure where this will leave me with the NaNoWriMo. I am a huge fan of the idea behind the concept--that it should be a new project if one decides to get involved in the project. The key to NaNoWriMo is to try and open up the creative juices--to write something fresh, to let what words and images come as you go through the process and see where the "muse" wants to take you.

So now I have to try and see what I can get done in the next few weeks--to try and finish up the rough draft that I am working on. I hope I can start something new too but am trying to finish what I have started.

That seems to be the core of what I am learning during this--to tell the full story and know that other stories can come when the time is right. And that by not finishing things I am letting myself not believe that the finished product is worth anything--that is not try at all.

No comments: