Monday, July 17, 2006

Like A Time Life Series

I’m waiting for work to start up and the show to get rolling. And in my boredom I have decided to do something so weirdly anal that it shocks even me. (Get your mind out of the gutter.) I have decided that I need to compile a best of my music collection into a set of cds.

So I have been spending my days picking a single definitive song off every cd I own. This process can take as long as an hour as I go over the criteria for each single—is it the best single? Is it too similar to another song already there? Do I think it properly reflects the artist or the tone of the album it comes off of? Is it too overplayed? Would I be embarrassed to make it one of my must haves?

This task fills many a slow day as I wait for friends to get of work or Edie to get back from the gym or ‘General Hospital’ to start. And the weird thing is how much I LOVE every cd I own. There has only been one album where I couldn’t find something I liked (‘Dew Drops In The Garden’ Deelight) and even then I have made myself listen to it about three times in a row to make me chose. I don’t know if I’m going too far but it’s hard to judge anything when you realize that left to your own devices you go crazy.

But it looks like the series will be a ten disc set called ‘Life in the Key of Rory’. I’d like to think that it will be good. If it’s not then I wasted all my time. And that would be crazier than crazy.

No comments: