Monday, June 14, 2010

You Always Take Something

So I recently finished up my job for 'The Rachel Zoe Project' on Bravo. If you don't know who Rachel Zoe is--she is a fashion stylist for celebs and red carpet events-Demi Moore, Cameron Diaz, Kate Hudson to name a few. She is also well known for her love of maxi dresses and former clients likes like Nicole Richie.

Perez Hilton hates her.

It was actually one of my favroite shows to work on ever. I don't really talk about it much but I love fashion and styling and clothes--I find it interesting and consider it to be an art form when you get to couture looks. And though some people, you know who you are, would consider my take on taste to bea bit mainstream I did love learning the thought proccess that goes into creating looks for public events of all types.

And with losing so much weight in the past year I have found myself having to get rid of tons of clothing. Things stopped fitting and became cumbersome and awkward but was strange was that I didn't just run out to replace things willy nilly. What I learned from the show was that you really have to take time and think about the look you want to create-the story you want to tell

As a writer I love this.

Since then I have really tried to stop and think beofre I buy clothes. I don't just snatch up easy shirts from Forever 21 Men or shorts from Americna Eagle--I look with an eye towards who I want to be seen as. It's about poking through vintage stores and buying my first pair of boots ever. It's knowing why dark wash jeans are better for most looks and trying on all cuts to seee what really shapes and flatters. It's putting away flip flops and slogan t-shirts for boat shoes and art print t-shirts. It realzing that I have to really think about the man i want to present

That's right. Man. Not boy.

But it's also remembering how much I love color and layers, shorts and comofrt but paired with an eye to building looks and telling stories. I'd like to think there is a million different me and I want to work on finidng a way to expresss that without looking like a store windnow or a walking sales pitch for the local mall.

It's nice when the work I do is more than just a paycheck but something that i can enjoy well after the show has faded away and on to the next thing.

But it does feel gay to admit it

No comments: